Friday, November 28, 2014

2nd of 2011 -- Queen City Tower at Night


Unlike the subject of my first one in 2011, this building was not an iconic part of Cincinnati's skyline for as long as I could remember: it was new!

On the 75th anniversary of Union Terminal, I realized it was built and completed during the worst of the great Depression in 1933. I thought about that a lot as I saw this building rising in the midst of the worst economic times I experienced in my life. When jobs for construction workers were hard to come by, people worked every day on the new Queen City (Tiara) Tower.

I've done a lot of sketches of it and my favorite ones are at night. But rather than painting a vertical of just this building, it is going to appear in some large horizontals I plan to paint of the "new" Cincinnati skyline. This is now its most prominent focal point. That will remind me of philanthropy. And how a Cincinnati man had it built during tough economic times, perhaps as bad as the Great Depression, giving people hope and jobs.