Monday, November 10, 2014

My first Secret ArtWorks: 2007?

The first time I participated in Secret ArtWorks, I had a terrible time painting as small as 5 x 7"! All the paintings I'd done since October 2005 were at least 9 x 12" and most of them were 16 x 20" or 18 x 24". I'm grateful that creating and donating these works taught me how to paint smaller, since 7.5 x 9.5" is very popular because it fits into a ready-made 11 x 14" frame matted under glass.

When I first moved to Cincinnati, "Light Up" was an actual event. Usually held on a clear autumn evening, I think. All the businesses left their lights on that night so photographers and painters would be inspired.

I remember painting this ... the bright red imprimatura I started with and then painting in the darks, lights, and negative space. This piece actually was part of a show the following year honoring some of the favorite Secret ArtWorks. Recognition and appreciation like that sure keep you going sometimes.

Don't forget to see the last Secret ArtWorks this year Nov 17-20 in the lobby of the Westin Hotel. Or better yet, attend the event Friday Nov 21 at the Mercantile Center; it's a blast and supports a great cause. See http://www.artworkscincinnati.org/get-involved/secret-artworks/art-reveals/