Friday, August 08, 2014

Paint it Black


Using the black canvas sheets today to sketch ideas for the paintings I want to do that were inspired by Shannon Godby's photographs on Facebook.

Today I realized I actually needed a wide range of dark paints (Mars Black, Ivory Black) to paint back into the canvas as I worked my lights and darks. A good find!

So I went back to my sketch of "Christmas Eve at the Warren's" and tried to apply what I learned. Here's what it looked like before I started; when I started looking at it, I realized if there's that much snow on the ground, there'd likely be some on the roof.



Thought I was done but now I want to play with the sky behind the house a bit more. It's too light and I need to work that section in the upper right quadrant to bring it in line with the rest of the painting. Fun exploring this way of painting onto black canvas, though. And Christmas in August is kind of fun too.