Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Keuka Lake Day 4: Changing Weather

Here's the oil I completed on my fourth day at Keuka Lake. Instead of painting first thing in the morning, I kayaked at daybreak and then got down to painting in earnest.

This turned out to be the last day I had sunlight to work on my landscape of "Sunny Point." I took photos of this view and will try to finish the painting when I get home.
Next I went down to visit Yates County Arts Council's new facility on Main Street in Penn Yan NY. Director Kris Pearson showed me the first floor gallery, currently exhibiting the annual show of work by the Penn Yan Artists' Guild. And we toured the meeting rooms and classroom/workshop space on the second floor. Fundraising is currently in progress to put in an elevator, so people (and their artwork and supplies) can travel more easily between the two floors. As you can see, it's a top notch place and I am so honored to have received the residency here this week.

After visiting YCAC, I headed off to the main gate at Watkins Glen State Park to paint outdoors. It was a challenge capturing this waterfall as the light moved up in the sky over the left wall of the gorge, so I had to quit when it changed dramatically enough. I did get photos, so again, I may be able to work on this acrylic painting some more after I get home.

The week's gone fast: tomorrow will be my last full day but I'm done painting at this point and decide to refresh and renew either by getting homemade ice cream at one of the creameries in the area or going to some wineries for tastings. The wine won out, although I also bought fresh Himrod grapes (green) and some Cortland apples from farm stands that were just the best.
Apparently there are over 300 wineries in the Finger Lakes area, so I barely made a dent with my tastings along the Seneca and Keuka Lake wine trails. Some of my personal favorites on this trip were McGregor, Rooster Hill, Keuka Springs, and Bully Hill (great lunch with a view!)

More tomorrow; stay tuned.