Saturday, September 22, 2012

Keuka Lake 2: Tuesday Morning

Raining this morning so this was a good day to visit the Corning Museum of Glass (CMOG). Watching made me appreciate how easy I have it as a painter: when something goes wrong or doesn't suit, it's easy to just paint it out or paint over it. Maybe that's why I'm so taken with glass -- it's the artwork I most like to collect although having the right place to display a good piece is challenging.



The thing that impressed me about CMOG was the combination of industrial inventiveness and usage vs. art for art's sake. I'd read about Corning in the Steve Jobs biography earlier this year but I had no idea of the scope and breadth of what they do! Absolutely amazing and the 4 short demos were fabulous.
When I went, I didn't know if I'd want to spend 1 hour or all day there ... it could easily have taken up the whole day but I wanted to go back to Sunny Point and work on a watercolor of Esperanza Mansion seen from Keuka Lake State Park.



This turned out to be more of a challenge than anticipated, due to the quality of the paper I used and the difficulty of removing the friskit (miskit) from it without tearing the surface. The series of little oil palette knife paintings is 8 x 10; this one is about 9 x 12 or 13.

No work on the Red Barn today -- waiting for that light and hoping it will return on Wed.