Saturday, January 16, 2010


Copying "Yesterday" by John Ellsworth Weis
Here's today's effort: a copy of the painting "Yesterday" by J. E. Weis which is now hanging at the Cincinnati Art Musuem in the gallery displaying the collection belonging to Cincinnati Public Schools.
The musuem recently switched out a lot of paintings in this particular gallery and I found this one when looking for a painting of Bessie Wessel's I admired.
John Weis' original painting now hangs just to the left of Bessel Wessel's Hollyhocks painting that I love. I was not familiar with Weis or his work before trying to copy this one today but I fell in love with it and learned a lot from copying for 3.5 hours today during the Ohio Plein Air Society paint-in. It was a bonus discovering a new artist and I've found other paintings of Weis' that I like while researching him online.
Exhausted from this effort, I'm signing off for now to rest and will write more about this artist, his painting and my copying later.