Sunday, January 10, 2010


A Quilter's Inspiration
No, this isn't my work. These beautiful pieces of fabric art were created by Cathy Pilcher Sperry, who talked about her own journey as an artist, what inspires her, and her processes for creating these beautiful quilted wall hangings in a program I attended on Saturday.
I didn't get much actual paint on canvas this weekend but got loads of inspiration from Cathy's talk and viewing a couple dozen pieces she's created in the last few years. This artwork is so beautiful when you see it in person, these photos really DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE. I think both of these pieces were about 3.5 feet square.
What struck me was Cathy's innovation and creativity in her processes of trying to achieve what she envisions. I had just finished reading David Hockney's book, Secret Knowledge of the Masters and realized that those artists I admire so much did the same thing. Even today, filmmakers like George Lucas and James Cameron envision movies they want to make and then they have to figure out new ways to actually realize them onscreen. I hope to try and do more of this in 2010, leveraging what I know how to do with a computer with making the marks on canvas or paper with pencils and brushes.
The other thing that was really neat about Cathy's talk was hearing about how starting to sew at age 12 and loving it have led her to what she's doing today. I saw a faith walk and spirituality that realized beauty and life beyond what I think human beings are capable of without divine partnership. Now that's inspiring!