Thursday, January 07, 2010


















Preliminary color sketches for an oil portrait

While everyone was snowed in today, I finished the third and final color study to show my clients for their 18 x 24" home portrait. When we last met, we looked at all the photos I'd taken and they decided they wanted to see the house head-on in an "autumn-like" setting.

With three different little studies like this, I'll be able to find out more about their likes and dislikes before I begin the full-size painting in oils on canvas.

I actually end up liking a lot of these little studies. They're only about 7 x 9" on a canvas sheet in acrylics but they look great matted and framed in a standard size 11 x 14" frame, which is perfect for hanging in a smaller place or space. I sell these for $200 where the big ones go for $400-$600.