Tuesday, June 29, 2010



Red Letter Day

This is a red letter day in my life as an artist!

I painted this painting of my friend Therese's homeplace three summers ago. Today I saw it exhibited in the Cincinnati Art Museum, along with a painting I recently did of the Taft Museum of Art. Let me explain.

This summer, CAM is featuring a See America exhibit and they wanted to display some of the work of local artists as part of that. Mason is one of the fastest growing cities in Ohio, so the CAM has a partnership with the Mason-Deerfield Arts Council, of which I am a member.

Almost everyone I paint with on Mondays has at least one work on display and while I was there, two museum employees told me to be sure and see the exhibit and how impressed they are with the quality of the work. I was too! I almost couldn't breathe when I got off the elevator on the ground floor near the DeWitt entrance and saw our paintings. They looked awesome!! I was so proud and happy for all the artists, including myself.

Of course I dreamed that one day I'd have something hanging in the Cincinnati Art Museum. But I never thought it would be while I was still alive to see it! What a great moment. Our work will be up all summer, until mid August, so sign the guest book if you stop by and see it.

Amazing, too, how much better things look displayed and tagged properly. I'll have to pay more attention when I hang things at the studio and at outdoor shows.

For more about Mason-Deerfield Arts Council, see http://www.masonarts.org/.