Monday, February 27, 2012


Painting OTR Flags for Washington Square Park

Paint your own 30 inch square silk flag to hang in Washington Square Park, across from Music Hall, this summer for $25. There are three (3) workshops scheduled during the next couple of weeks -- Sat March 10 at 1 pm at the Art Academy of Cincinnati; Sat March 24 at 1 pm in the Brewery District and Sat April 14 at 1 pm at Nast Trinity United.

I'm learning how to dye my two (2) 27 x 48 inch silk banners while my corporate sponsor comes to consensus on the final design I will paint on them with Dyna Flow, which is a new medium for me. About two dozen sponsored flags are being painted through collaboration with community groups and artists for the grand re-opening of the park this summer and will likely hang most of June and July, just in time for Cincinnati (The City That Sings) to host this year's World Choir Games.

This exhibit is based on the belief that art is a positive catalyst for expression and can enable community members to share experiences and connections with Washington Park. Stay tuned for more progress on this project during the next few weeks!


I've been putting my frame with the silk stretched on it up to the window of my studio to see how different designs and effects will look with sunlight shining through the silk as they hang on the lightposts in the park.