Tuesday, August 23, 2011






Morning on the Canyon's South Rim: #1 of 5




Yes, it is Final Friday at the Pendleton Art Center this week, on Aug 26 from 5-10 pm and I’ll be in my studio then but not on Second Look Saturday the next day. Friday night should be a great night downtown! Reds Game with fireworks (visible when you're waiting for the valet parkers at the Pendleton to bring you your car). Ghost Tour of Cincinnati departing from Cincy Haus on Vine, right across the street from Lavomatic Cafe, where you can see more of my paintings while dining and drinking in style on the roof garden.


This is one of five 16” square paintings I’ve done of the hike I took through the Grand Canyon a year ago, from the North to the South Rim in seven days with a backpack. We flew into Las Vegas and drove from there, stopping off to see Hoover Dam along the way. I wish we’d also stopped and walked out onto the Skywalk or transparent platform above the Canyon from the West Rim. We passed near it but didn’t have enough time. As it was, we arrived at the historic El Tovar on the South Rim after dark, so my first view of the Grand Canyon (other than from an airplane window) was just a big black void.

My room had a view, so as soon as I woke up the next day I looked out my window and this is what I saw: wow! It did not disappoint. After taking lots and lots of photos, we walked over to the old Kolb brothers’ place, now Lookout Studio, to see the trailhead of the Bright Angel Trail. We planned to hike out there one week later, having started on the North Rim and walked through the entire Canyon from North to South. I felt lots of trepidation standing there, I don’t mind telling you! I really want to do this but can I? Will I make it?
Well you know I did but check back here for the stories that go along with the other four paintings I’ll be showing of the Grand Canyon on Final Friday. They’re not framed but nicely matted and they sell for $300 each. I’m asking for feedback; which one of the five would you paint on the big four foot square canvas I have ready?