Wednesday, August 03, 2011


Homes on a golf course

Before getting ready to play golf at Glenview tonight, I put the finishing touches on this home portrait. If you’re going to live on a golf course, this is the way to do it, facing the green. You can watch people putting from your back porch and you don’t worry so much about stray shots breaking your windows or hitting one of you in the head!

For this painting, I realized anew how important taking the reference photos in the right kind of light can be. I usually try to photograph a house early in the morning or around 5 pm, in order to get the most dramatic light effects that inspire me as I paint.

The other thing this painting illustrates is that you can often show the home better by painting it from a vantage point other than the front. In this case, don’t you want to spend time on that back porch or patio?