Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This is a home portrait I'm working on; it's oils over acrylics on an 18 x 24" stretched canvas. When I stopped, I liked the liveliness of it and wanted to look at it for a while as it dried. I plan to paint on this one some more tomorrow but I'm ready to show it to the homeowners and get their feedback.

Showing people work in progress can be a double-edged sword, especially when I'm not finished or satisfied with a painting yet. But I've found that getting feedback earlier rather than later is helpful. In fact, in makes commissions more fun because it becomes more of a collaboration between us.

The good part of painting in oils is the richness and enjoyment I have using them but having to wait for paint to dry before continuing on where I want to go is frustrating. I'm spoiled by working in acrylics. But laying oils over acrylics is a good compromise for me and, in this case, the challenge is preserving some of the freshness of the alla prima painting on and around the home itself.