Monday, September 16, 2013

At the Beach


Last year my artist's residency was in the Finger Lakes area of New York  ... this year it's on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The first day, yesterday, was Sunday, so I took my sabbath and just looked. Also, noted important things like sunrise and sunset times, high and low tides etc.
 
Woke at 6 am but didn't get started setting up until about 7 and the eastern sun was already bright in the sky by then. Good light, so I got some nice photos of the home I'm painting down here and then it took me almost an hour to set up my palette and coat some small 8 x 10 canvases for sunset paintings tonight.
 
A little worried about painting in acrylics today because it's so hot and humid; have my wet palette and spray bottle but I think I'll paint the canvases I coated in oils.
 
The colors I pick for my undercoating inspire me. Today I tried a metallic bronze as well as the marine blue that began the painting above, of a beach house in Maine.
 
At midday, plenty to do with pencil drawings and may try some watercolor today as well.