Thursday, June 06, 2013

My First Gallery Show







I now have a new wish if I win the lottery – a Walker Display system like they have at the Park National Bank Gallery at University of Cincinnati’s Clermont College, where my first gallery show opened this week.

As you can see, it’s a unique and interesting space! I’ve been to a number of shows there and it looks so different each time. The Walker system is part of what makes that possible. And the gallery manager, Nikki Vargas, has been delightful to work with – extremely helpful and considerate. We have her to thank for the theme of our show and the design of the postcards and posters promoting it.

Compare and Contrast, a Pairing of Impressionism and Realism in Painting features the work of artist Ronald Keith along with mine. You’ve probably guessed that my work is not the realism part of this showJ I like his pieces a lot and I think you will too.

The exhibit is open Mondays and Tuesdays from 8 am to 6 pm, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8 am until 5 pm and Fridays until 4 pm, except Friday night June 21, when Ron and I will host a reception open to the public from 5-7 pm. The last day is Wednesday June 26 and then I’ll be open at the Pendleton Art Center on Final Friday June 28 and will demonstrate painting there at Art in Action Saturday June 29 from 11 am til 3 pm.

I sure was grateful for the help I received from a good friend who said, “You’re not planning to hang this by yourself, are you?” Well, I was but I’d never have been able to do so. When you’re up on a ladder, it’s good to have someone else hand you a heavy painting and tell you whether or not it’s hanging straight. Not to mention another’s eyes and input about what looks nice where. I should know from experience, it never looks like you think it’s going to, no matter how much you plan in advance. Having plenty of help, and a Walker system, gives you a lot of flexibility to make a gallery display look good.