Friday, September 11, 2009

Stood in front of the biggest canvas I've painted in awhile last night (2 x 3 ft) in the showroom of Performance Lexus at the Kings Auto Mall. Because I like the work I've painted with other people around (rather than alone), I thought last night's party would be a good time to begin this portrait of the Roebling Bridge and Cincinnati skyline. See some great photos of the event in Meredith Edelman Raffel's Facebook album. Meredith is the director of the Mason Arts Council.

To inspire myself before I started executing this, I spent some time reading about the history of this bridge and its builder's background. That sure did the trick! I learned all kinds of things I hadn't known and then became eager to paint it!

If they have this Celebrate the Arts party again next year, I'd recommend attending. Actually, I didn't get much painting done because I was having too much fun eating, drinking and talking to people. There was a great variety of talented artists demonstrating and I wanted to see what they were doing too; so that was a distraction. I loved talking to the children there and seeing this photo touched me; lots of kids the age I was when I first started painting. Great to have a chance to pass on some of the information and encouragement I received back then.

I've never been in a car dealership like this: very impressive and the people who work there are too. Friendly, helpful, curious. The shrimp was displayed more artistically than I've ever seen. I'm grateful so many friends came by to say hello.

Today I'm off to the studio at Pendleton to work on this big painting, three little 5 x 7 inch ones, and finish the family tree commission. It's a beautiful day and last night's event is motivating me to get going.