Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Irises in Watercolors (24" x 30")

Here's the work in progress as of Monday, March 4, 2024. I have had to get used to not being able to keep the entire large sheet at the same level of detail, as it's taking me much longer to paint this larger size.


Here's where we came from February 26, 2024. The paint is drying quickly enough but this surface dulls down its hue and intensity so I anticipate having to layer over many times to get the effect I want before finishing.

I was bound and determined to get the composition down on the entire sheet in my first session painting these irises on a large sheet of watercolor paper on February 15, 2024.

I so enjoyed painting the colorful peppers in three different media that I decided to do that again with this photograph of irises that inspired me.


Once again, it's going to be a challenge for me, with very few straight lines but this is an image I'll enjoy looking at for a long time as I attempt to paint it in acrylics, watercolors, and oils (with painting knives).